Kokako's vegetarian warm Maori potato salad
Photo by Ted Baghurst
The ideal summer picnic dish. Enjoy!
|120 g||Butter beans, available from Sabato|
|400 g||Maori potatoes|
|1||Celery stalk, sliced thinly|
|40 g||Pitted green olives|
|40 g||Radishes, shoots|
|40 g||Toasted walnuts|
|150 ml||Aioli, use a good quality aioli|
|30 ml||Red wine vinegar, we recommend Forum Cab Savignon Red Wine from Sabato|
|1 to taste||Salt and pepper|
- For the salad, bring potatoes up to a simmer from cold water and cook for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Drain and allow to cool before cutting into quarters
- Drop eggs into boiling water and cook for seven minutes, then run under cold water for one minute before peeling.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients ready for plating.
- For the watercress aioli, blanch watercress in boiling salted water for 3 seconds then plunge into ice-cold water.
- Squeeze excess water from watercress and blend to a puree in a blender
- Fold puree through aioli. With vinegar and season well.
- To plate, heat potatoes, butter beans and olives till warm and season
- Distribute the above ingredients between four plates
- Drizzle over ingredients with watercress aioli.
- Place quartered egg over the salad.
- Scatter the remaining ingredients over the plate.
- Finish with a generous grind of pepper.