Strawberry and marshmallow parfait with strawberries
( SERVES 10 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- To prepare the tin, line a narrow terrine mould about 30cm x 10cm with plastic wrap.
- Set some of the marshmallows along the bottom with some strawberry slices.
- Place the strawberries in a saucepan with half the sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat.
- The juices will come out, so there is no need to add water.
- Simmer for no more than 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and mash or purée the mixture.
- Return it to the pan and set aside.Use an electric beater to whisk the egg yolks and whole eggs with the remaining sugar until thick and mousse-like.
- Return the strawberry and sugar mixture to the heat and bring to a simmer.
- With the beater still running, tip this hot mixture into the eggs and continue whisking until it is really thick and well incorporated.
- The hot sugar and strawberries “cook” the egg yolk, so it is not raw.
- Whip the cream until it reaches soft peaks, then fold it gently through.
- Add the remaining marshmallows to the mixture. Spoon it into the prepared tin.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 24 hours.
- To serve, cut the parfait into neat slices and surround with freshly sliced strawberries.