Roast spiced duck legs with fresh cherries and duck jus
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Cut excess fat from the duck legs, then dust each one with a mixture of flour, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the duck until it is a rich brown.
- Lift the legs out and place in a roasting pan. Pour off some of the fat, then add the onion.
- Peel the ginger and slice into thin strips. Add to the pan.
- Once the onion has softened, add the stock and thyme leaves and bring to a simmer. Tip this mixture over the duck, then cover the pan with foil and place in the oven.
- Allow the duck to cook for at least an hour. (The dish can be prepared 24 hours ahead up to this point, but refrigerate it once it has cooled.)
- When you’re ready to serve, place the duck legs in a hot oven (200C) for 10-15 minutes to heat through and crisp the skin.
- Add the cherries 5 minutes before serving. Lift out the duck legs and place on a platter, then pour over the cherries.
- Skim fat from the pan and, if necessary, allow the juices to reduce on the stove top over a brisk heat, then pour over to moisten the duck.