Dark chocolate, cherry and coconut cheesecake
Photo by Tamara West
This is a stunner of a dessert and the base is gluten-free.
For the base
|½ cup||Desiccated coconut|
|200 g||Almond meal|
|2 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|70 g||Butter, melted|
|6||Medjool dates, stones removed|
For the filling
|¼ cup||Caster sugar|
|400 g||Cream cheese, softened|
|220 g||Dark chocolate|
|200 g||Sour cream|
|1 Tbsp||Cocoa powder|
|1 tsp||Vanilla bean, paste or extract|
|1 cup||Cherry jam, black|
- Heat oven to 160 degC (non-fan forced). Line the base of a 20cm spring form cake tin with baking paper and grease the sides.
- In a food processor, blitz all the base ingredients until well-combined. The mixture should be a crumbly consistency and hold together well when pinched.
- Tip base mixture into cake tin and press down firmly and evenly with the back of a spoon, ensuring it is neat and flat where it meets the tin. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir in the sour cream, cocoa and vanilla, mixing until smooth.
- Add chocolate mixture to cream cheese mixture and beat until well combined.
- Melt cherry jam in a small saucepan on low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour half of the cheesecake mixture into the cake tin, and drizzle over two-thirds of the cherry jam. Pour over remaining cheesecake mixture, and drizzle over remaining jam. Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove cheesecake from oven and leave to cool at room temperature for an hour before transferring to the fridge for a few hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, heat cherry jam in a saucepan for 1-2 minutes, until melted.
- Garnish cheesecake with fresh cherries, strawberries, raspberries and white chocolate shavings. Drizzle over the jam. Serve chilled.