( SERVES 6 )
|2 cans||Canned tomatoes, 400g each, in juice, roughly chopped|
|1||Red pepper, large, chopped|
|¼ cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|½ cup||Basil leaves|
|2 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|1 cup||Tomato juice, chilled|
|1 cup||French bread, stale, cubed|
- Place the tomatoes and juice, garlic, red pepper, basil, olive oil, vinegar and bread cubes in a bowl and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Purée in a food processor. Sieve if preferred.
- Add enough tomato juice to create a soup consistency. Chill.
- To make the topping, seed the pepper and dice. Dice the onion and tomato.
- Serve on top of the soup with the croûtons, basil, salt and pepper.