Peperonata packed with herbs
This simple yet incredibly delicious vegetable dish is one of my favourites, in fact I love it so much, I could happily eat it on its own.
- Add enough olive oil or ghee to cover the bottom of a heavy bottomed dutch oven or saucepan.
- Warm the oil or ghee over medium heat. Add the garlic, red onion, and herbs, and saute until translucent.
- Add the remaining vegetables, and stir to coat in the oil.
- Cover the pan, and reduce the heat to very low. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring every five minutes or so, until the vegetables become very soft. You can add a little water if they start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and a good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir until combined, then serve.
The trick is to add a couple of large handfuls of fragrant herbs and plenty of garlic to give a fantastic flavour explosion. I also add a little lemon juice right at the end, to balance out the flavours perfectly. Enjoy!