Roasted rhubarb tart with rhubarb sorbet
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1 tsp||Lemon, zest|
|3||Eggs, yolks only|
|¼ cup||Semolina flour|
|300 g||Rhubarb, cut in 10cm pieces|
- Place flour and butter in a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add egg and vanilla and blend to form a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured bench, roll pastry to 5mm thick and line a 34x10cm tin. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Bake the pastry blind for 15-20 minutes.
- To make the filling: Place milk, cinnamon, lemon and first measure of sugar in a pot.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then add semolina. Remove from heat and stir to a smooth consistency.
- Add egg yolk and mix well. Place in a bowl, cover and cool.
- Pour custard into tart tin and smooth the surface.
- Cover with rhubarb pieces and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes covered loosely with tinfoil. Then remove tinfoil and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with rhubarb sorbet or whipped cream.
- Rhubarb Sorbet: Place 1 cup water and sugar in a small pot. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes until it becomes syrupy. Remove and cool.
- Place ½ cup water and the rhubarb in a pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Place in a blender and puree until very smooth. Add sugar syrup and blitz again. Cool.
- If using an ice cream maker, follow the manufacturer's instructions. If not, place in a suitable container in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
- Remove and beat to break up the icicles, then refreeze.