Spicy Asian glaze
Photo by Tamara West
A great glaze for a baked ham.
- Roughly chop ginger, garlic cloves, kaffir lime leaves and green chillies.
- Add the zest and juice of limes and blitz all to a smooth paste in a food processor.
- Remove to a bowl, add five spice powder, salt and grated palm sugar (or brown sugar) and mix.
- Stud the scored ham with whole star anise and rub on the glaze.
- Bake in a roasting dish in a shallow bath of fresh apple juice or cider and baste ham frequently as you go.
Note: To prepare ham, remove the skin and score the fat on the diagonal to create diamond shapes, then brush with glaze and, as a general guide, bake in a 170C oven. Cook until the ham is a dark golden colour and has been heated through to approximately 60C using an inserted meat thermometer. If the glaze looks like it's colouring too quickly, lower the oven temperature and cover with foil.