Tea smoked chicken breasts
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|½ tsp||Five spice|
|2 tsp||Sichuan peppercorns|
|1 Tbsp||Sesame oil|
|1 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|100 g||Tea, lapsang souchong tea leaves|
|50 g||Brown sugar, dark|
- Place the peppercorns, salt and spice in a mortar and pestle and grind to powder.
- Add the sesame oil and soy and mix.
- Rub the spice over the chicken breasts and put them in a bamboo steamer.
- Half-fill a pot with water and add 1 tablespoon of tea leaves.
- Put the steamer on top, cover tightly and steam for approximately 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken.
- Line a wok with tin-foil. Put the brown sugar and remaining tea leaves in the bottom.
- Position a rack over the top, leaving a few centimetres clear. Place the chicken on the rack and cover.
- It will take a few minutes before you have smoke. Leave it for 5 minutes before turning the chicken and smoking for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave the chicken in the smoker for 10 minutes.
- To serve, mix the soy sauce and sesame oil together and spoon a little over the top.
- Plate with steamed rice and greens.