Chai ice cream
Photo by Babiche Martens
A lovely chai ice cream - made with Earl Grey tea and aromatic spices such as clove, cinnamon, cardamom and star anise - is a great summer's dessert.
- Into a pot put the cream, milk, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, ginger and tea bag.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn off and leave for 5 minutes to infuse. Strain and discard the spices.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy. Slowly add the cream.
- Return this to a clean pot and, over a medium heat, stir continuously until slightly thickened and your custard coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove and cool.
- Churn in an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve with fresh berries and enjoy.