Mushroom-glazed rump steak with shallots and roasted perlas
( SERVES 4 )
|500 g||Potatoes, use perla potatoes|
|600 g||Rump steak, piece|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Fresh thyme, to garnish potatoes|
|1||Fresh rosemary, to garnish potatoes|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|100 ml||Red wine|
|200 ml||Beef jus|
|400 g||Brown mushrooms, button|
|1 bunch||Watercress, fresh|
|2 tsp||Dijon mustard|
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a hot frying pan, seal the piece of rump steak.
- Put it in the oven for 8-12 minutes (depending on how you prefer it done).
- Remove from theoven and leave to rest.
- Cut the potatoes into thick slices.
- Put them on a paper-lined baking tray with 1 Tbsp oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic and seasoning. Cook in the oven until tender.
- Peel the shallots and saute whole in 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan.
- Add the red wine and beef jus, and put in the hot oven for 30-40 minutes until the jus has reduced and the shallots are glossy.
- Quarter the mushrooms and saute in 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Leave to cool in a sieve, so that some of the juices can drain.
- Preheat the grill to the hottest setting. Beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Add the egg yolks, mustard and ½ tsp salt. Fold the mushrooms through the cream mix and spoon onto the top of the steak.
- Put this under the hot grill for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slice the piece of rump and serve with the potatoes, shallots and fresh watercress.