Refried bean and corn quesadillas with salsa
Photo by Tamara West
These are surprisingly filling. If you like a chilli kick, add some chipotle or jalapeños into the bean mixture. Great with a cold beer.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Cook onion until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, paprika and cumin and continue cooking for a further 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Take off the heat and mix in corn, refried beans and jalapenos if using.
- Lay a tortilla wrap on a clean dry surface.
- Spread about 1 cup of the bean mixture on top, then scatter over some rocket/baby spinach leaves and sprinkle over about ½ cup cheese.
- Top with another tortilla and press down gently, but firmly.
- Repeat for remaining tortillas and filling.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan (preferably non-stick) on low to medium heat.
- Cook quesadillas, one by one, for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Combine all salsa ingredients together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, cut each quesadillas into four and pile on to a large plate or wooden board.
- Serve with salsa and some Greek yoghurt/sour cream on the side.