Carrot and pumpkin "cheesecake"
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This carrot and pumpkin spice "cheesecake" dessert is so rich and scrumptious - it should definitely be on your next dinner party menu. If you feel the urge for a little something cheeky on the side, instead of the usual cream or yoghurt, add a blob of cashew butter. Your guests will be amazed by the healthy transformation of the traditional cheesecake.
|1½ cups||Pecans, raw|
|3½ Tbsp||Blue agave nectar|
|1 Tbsp||Coconut oil, melted|
|1 Tbsp||Linseed / flaxseed|
|3 cups||Carrots, grated|
|200 g||Butter, (cashew)|
|5||Dates, each cut into 3|
|¼ cup||Blue agave nectar, raw|
|¼ cup||Toasted coconut, optional|
|¼ cup||Pumpkin seeds, raw|
- First make the base by placing the pecans in a food processor and blitz until they look like breadcrumbs. Add the nectar, vanilla, salt, oil, and linseed. Then blend until it is really well mixed and sticking together. Into a 22cm loose-bottom tin, press the base evenly. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, blend the carrots in a food processor until smooth. Add the cashew butter, lemon, dates, nectar and 1 tsp of the spice mix.
- Blend again to a smooth puree. Pour on top of your crust and freeze for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove 5 minutes before eating. Run a sharp knife around the edge and remove from the tin.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and coconut, if using.