( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Tamara West
Steamed mussels make a delicious, quick and easy meal in this yummy Thai-flavoured coconut broth.
- Heat oil in a medium to large saucepan (one that all the mussels will fit in) on medium heat.
- Cook shallots until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and lemongrass and continue to cook for a further minute.
- Stir in tom yum paste, coconut milk and water and bring to the boil.
- Add cleaned mussels, cover with a lid and steam for 2-3 minutes until the mussel shells have just opened (discard any that do not open).
- Season with fish sauce or soy sauce to taste.
- Divide mussels and broth between bowls and garnish with chilli (if using) and coriander.
- Serve with a lime cheek to squeeze over just before eating.
Tip: Pick live raw mussels with tightly closed shells or those that close when the shells are tapped; this is an indication they are still alive and fresh. If their shells do not close when tapped they should be discarded.