Yoghurt Cheese Rolled in Herbs and Lemon Zest
Photo by Eleanor Ozich
Something a bit different this week - a fabulous recipe for home made creamy and tangy yoghurt cheese rolled in freshly chopped herbs and lemon zest.
- Place a large piece of cheesecloth or muslin in a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl.
- Add the yoghurt, and then twist together the corners of the cheesecloth like a moneybag.
- Place a plate on top, and then weigh down with a can or something similar.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. The longer you leave the cheese, the more liquid will drip away and the drier the cheese will become.
- Combine the herbs, lemon zest, and a large pinch of sea salt and ground pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Using your hands, roll the cheese in to small balls, and then roll in the herb mixture.
- Layer the balls in clean glass jar, and then top with extra virgin olive oil.
- Seal, and then refrigerate for up to two weeks.
Tip: Italian parsley, basil, mint, thyme and oregano all work well.