Mushroom and kransky macaroni bake
( SERVES 4 )
Adding smokey sausage and mushrooms to this old-fashioned recipe takes it to the next level.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cook the macaroni according to packet directions until al dente, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms and kransky for 4-5 minutes until just coloured.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir in well. Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring.
- Gradually add the hot milk and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the cheese and season to taste.
- Spoon into your chosen dish and sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with a green salad.
Tip: You can also use up last night’s leftover sausages or chorizo if you prefer. For little ones, add a cup of vegetables or peas to make this a one-pot meal.