Chicken and egg bento
( SERVES 1 )
The bento is a single serving of delicious treats to be eaten at lunch or when away from home.
Teriyaki chicken on rice
Soy and miso egg and edamame soybeans
|4 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|3||Eggs, as many as needed|
|2 tsp||Miso paste|
|1 handful||Edamame beans, pods|
Tofu with ginger dressing and pickled radish
For teriyaki chicken on rice
- Combine 2 Tbsp soy sauce and 2 Tbsp mirin, reserving 1 tsp aside. Place the chicken in the marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Grill the chicken over a barbecue or heated grill pan until cooked through. Refrigerate, basting the chicken with the 1 tsp of reserved marinade.
- Steam 1 cup of soaked white rice until tender.
Soy and miso egg
- Boil eggs for 8 minutes, then peel when cool enough to handle.
- Mix soy sauce, mirin and miso paste. Plunge the warm eggs into the liquid and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
Fresh tofu with ginger dressing
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes.
- Make a dressing with ginger, spring onions finely chopped, sesame oil and soy sauce. Pour the dressing over the tofu cubes.
- Edamame pods can be found in the frozen foods section of the supermarket. Take a handful and plunge into boiling salted water for 2 minutes.
- Refresh under running cold water.
Freshly pickled radish
- Slice a radish and soak in a mixture of 2 Tbsp sweet white vinegar, 1 tsp sea salt and a pinch of sugar. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Drain.
- To assemble the bento, slice the chicken and place on the rice in the largest compartment.
- Fill the other compartments with the halved eggs, tofu with a little dressing drizzled over, edamame beans and radish.
Check out Ray McVinnie's video on 'How to cook the perfect white rice'.