Fried tofu with spicy minced pork
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
|600 g||Tofu, fresh, frim|
|1||Small onion, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Rice bran oil|
|1 Tbsp||Ginger, grated|
|1 clove||Crushed garlic|
|400 g||Pork mince|
|400 g||Crushed tomatoes, canned in juice|
|1 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Mirin, (rice wine)|
|1 to taste||Freshly ground black pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|¼ cup||Rice bran oil|
- Cut the tofu into 5cm cubes, dust very lightly with flour and keep aside until ready to fry.
- To make the sauce, cook the onion in a heated pan with the oil over gentle heat until softened and starting to brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic and mince, turn up the heat and cook for 5-6 minutes until it browns.
- Add the tomatoes with the Tabasco and soy sauces, mirin and black pepper and simmer over a very gentle heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water if it dries out.
- Add the parsley and taste for seasoning.
- In a separate pan, heat the extra oil, and when hot, sauté the tofu so it browns nicely on all sides.
- To serve, drain the tofu on paper towels, place on a serving platter and spoon over some of the spicy mince mixture.
- Serve at once with a green salad on the side.