Lentil, green olive and red pepper soup with organic butter garlic ciabatta
( SERVES 6 )
The base of this soup – lentils and vegetable stock – is a great one, because it’s nice and light, making it a nice alternative to other creamy options.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Brush the garlic and the red peppers with olive oil and roast for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly but while still warm, peel the skin from the peppers and slice the flesh into strips.
- Now toss the courgette slices in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Chargrill until just cooked.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, half of the roasted garlic (skin removed), smoked paprika and chilli powder.
- Rinse and drain the lentils, then add them to the pot along with the olives.
- Gradually add the stock, and cook until the lentils are just tender.
- Add the chargrilled courgette and the red pepper strips. Divide evenly between 6 soup bowls.
- Serve with a drizzle of good quality olive oil to finish, and the garlic ciabatta bread.
- For the garlic ciabatta, cut the baguette into 4 equal pieces, then cut each piece in a cross pattern, taking care not to cut all the way through.
- Mix all the other ingredients until well blended.
- Butter each section of the baguette generously, wrap in baking paper and bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
You can swap out any of the vegetables for your personal favourites, or add in meat.