Chicken, mushroom and spring onion miso udon soup
Hot, salty and savoury miso soup with noodles, vegetables and either chicken, prawns or tofu makes one of the most simple no-fuss meals that is instantly gratifying.
- Combine miso soup concentrate, water and ginger in a medium-size pot and bring to the boil.
- Add chicken, mushrooms and carrot and simmer for about 3 minutes until chicken is just about cooked through.
- Add snow peas and continue simmering for 1 more minute.
- Place udon noodles in a bowl and pour over some boiling water to cover. Leave noodles to stand for a few minutes and tease them apart. Drain noodles and divide between serving bowls.
- Ladle hot soup and its contents over the noodles in bowls, dividing equally. Garnish with fresh spring onion.
Tip: You can also use dried udon noodles — just boil in a separate pot to the miso soup (this prevents the starch from the noodles mixing with the soup).