Avocado, pickled veges and sardines on toast
Photo by Tamara West
- Heat cup white wine vinegar with sugar, salt, a bay leaf and a few peppercorns until hot.
- Add finely slice shallots, mini cucumbers and asparagus spears.
- Pour mixture on the veges and leave to pickle and cool.
- Roughly mash avocado with a little of the pickling liquor, salt, freshly ground black pepper and fresh parsley or dill.
- To serve: toast long slices of french bread.
- Spread them with avocado and top with pickled veges, a sardine and freshly ground black pepper.