A basic recipe you can build on. Add cheese and some cherry tomatoes, or use other meats, leftover veges, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. If you prefer, opt for short-crust pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Cook the potatoes for 12-15 minutes until just tender, then drain and cool.
- Line a 23cm pie dish with the pastry. You can leave it rustic around the edges or trim to fit.
- Chill the pastry-lined tin until required.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion, garlic and bacon for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Toss with the potatoes.
- Crack eggs into a bowl. Add cream, parsley and seasoning.
- Mix with a fork until the eggs are just broken.
- Arrange potato/bacon mixture in the pastry dish, then pour over the eggs.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until coloured, then reduce the heat to 165C and cook a further 20 minutes until pastry is golden and filling set. Leave to cool.