Coffee cream eclairs with toffee glaze
Fill with silky coffee cream and drizzle over toffee – it will set into a thin golden crust.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan bake.
- Line 2 trays with baking paper. Combine butter and water in a medium saucepan and stir until melted.
- Bring to the boil, then add flour and stir briskly until the mixture leaves the side of the bowl and forms a clean ball.
- Transfer to the food processor and, with the motor running, add the eggs one at a time until the mixture becomes thick, smooth and shiny.
- Transfer to a piping bag and pipe small 5cm lengths onto the lined trays. Using wet fingertips, smooth down any peaks or pointed ends.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 150C and bake a further 10-15 minutes until golden and hollow feeling.
- Remove from the oven and pierce the bottom to let out any steam.
- When completely cold, cut in half horizontally and pipe with coffee cream.
- For coffee cream: whisk crème fraiche, coffee mixed with water and icing sugar until smooth. Arrange on a foil lined tray.
- For toffee: place sugar in the centre of a medium saucepan and pour water around the outside of the sugar, set over a medium heat and swirl pan occasionally.
- Simmer for 5-8 minutes until caramelised and golden brown. Remove from heat and carefully spoon over coffee puffs.
- Cool any remaining toffee for 3-4 minutes, test with a fork until the toffee pulls into fine strands.
- Arrange the puffs on a stand and decorate with the pulled toffee.