Lemon and coconut crunch cakes
Photo by Babiche Martens.
Serve with fresh fruit of your choice and some toasted coconut. Make one large cake if that is easier for you. It will set in just a few hours so can easily be made in the morning. You could swap out some of the cream and replace it with more coconut milk, but personally I like it as it is. So don't be nervous about a bit of experimentation - you may surprise yourself.
- Place gingernuts into a food processor and blitz until mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add cardamom and melted butter and combine well.
- Place 6cm x 8cm flan rings on a baking sheet.
- Place crumbs evenly in the flan rings and press down with the back of a spoon.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes to harden.
- Sprinkle gelatine over the lemon juice and leave for 3 or 4 minutes to expand, then heat in the microwave for 30-40 seconds until dissolved and clear.
- In a large bowl, place cream, zest, condensed milk and coconut milk.
- Stir until well mixed then add the gelatine.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the biscuit bases.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, run a sharp knife around the edge of the rings and lift off.
- Garnish with sliced pawpaw and toasted coconut.