Lemon and coconut crunch cakes
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens.
Serve with fresh fruit of your choice and some toasted coconut. Make one large cake if that is easier for you. It will set in just a few hours so can easily be made in the morning. You could swap out some of the cream and replace it with more coconut milk, but personally I like it as it is. So don't be nervous about a bit of experimentation - you may surprise yourself.
- Place gingernuts into a food processor and blitz until mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add cardamom and melted butter and combine well.
- Place 6cm x 8cm flan rings on a baking sheet.
- Place crumbs evenly in the flan rings and press down with the back of a spoon.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes to harden.
- Sprinkle gelatine over the lemon juice and leave for 3 or 4 minutes to expand, then heat in the microwave for 30-40 seconds until dissolved and clear.
- In a large bowl, place cream, zest, condensed milk and coconut milk.
- Stir until well mixed then add the gelatine.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the biscuit bases.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, run a sharp knife around the edge of the rings and lift off.
- Garnish with sliced pawpaw and toasted coconut.