Warm squid and kale salad
Photo by Babiche Martens
With its hint of chilli, crunch from the nuts and slight saltiness from the shrimp paste, this squid salad is a taste sensation. You'll find squid at your local supermarket, and it's great to have in the freezer ready for an occasion just like this. Kale, like spinach, will wilt quickly and needs just a quick toss in the pan. It is best served immediately. If you don't have access to kale, spinach will be fine. The squeeze of lime is imperative.
- Into a mortar and pestle, place garlic, chilli, ginger, nuts and spring onion. Crush until mixed together. Add shrimp paste and half the oil and mix again.
- Place squid into a large bowl and pour over the paste. Rub well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook the squid, heat the remaining oil to a high heat in a frying pan. Add squid and cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add the kale and toss until wilted, approximately 1 minute. Squeeze over the juice of 1 lime.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of salt. Garnish with the other lime.
If you're buying fresh squid, watch this video to learn how to prepare it.