Homemade coconut yoghurt
( SERVES 1 )
Photo by Eleanor Ozich
This luxuriously creamy and tangy yoghurt is perfectly satisfying and makes for a wonderful dairy-free option.
- Sterilise your jar, either by boiling in water for 10 minutes, or by running through a dishwasher cycle.
- Warm the coconut cream in a saucepan over very low heat, until warm to touch. You can also do this in a bain-marie.
- Carefully pour the warmed coconut cream into the sterilised jar, add the powder from the probiotic pills and sweetener if using.
- Stir until well combined.
- Place the jar in a sunny place (a counter beneath a window works well) for at least 12 hours, preferably 24 hours.
- You could also place in a yoghurt maker, in a hot-water cupboard, wrapped in a tea towel, or in the oven with the light on.
- Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- The yoghurt will thicken considerably in the fridge, and become thicker and slightly tarter each day, tasting amazing after 2-3 days.
- It will keep for up to two weeks stored in the fridge.
- The added sweetener is not absolutely necessary, although bacteria does love to feed on sugar. I find that adding a little natural sweetener helps the yoghurt to thicken really well.
- Please also note that all coconut cream brands are slightly different, as are probiotic capsules. You may need to adjust the measurements slightly to produce a yoghurt of your preferred consistency.