Strawberry almond tart
Photo by Fiona Andersen
|1||Sweet shortcut pastry case, 28cm (see recipe below)|
|250 g||Unsalted butter|
|250 g||Caster sugar|
|250 g||Ground almonds|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|50 g||Plain flour|
|1 kg||Strawberries, hulled and cut in half|
Sweet shortcrust pastry
|175 g||Unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|75 g||Icing sugar|
|2||Free-range egg yolks|
|250 g||Plain flour|
|1 Tbsp||Water, cold|
Vanilla sugar syrup
- Make vanilla sugar syrup: Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium to high heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before use. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Make pastry: Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and pale. Add egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well.
- Mix in flour and just enough cold water to bring the pastry together.
- Knead lightly, roll into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat oven to 180C. Unwrap pastry, slice thinly and press into a 28cm fluted tart mould with a baking paper-lined removable base. Ensure pastry is evenly and thinly spread, about 2mm thick. Remove excess pastry from around edges.
- Refrigerate pastry base for 10 minutes before lining with a sheet of baking paper. Fill with baking beans and blind bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before removing beans.
- Make frangipane filling and cook tart: Reduce oven temperature to 160C.
- Beat butter, sugar and almonds in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated then add vanilla extract and flour and mix well.
- Using a spatula, spread this frangipane mixture over the cooled, blind baked pastry case and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and just set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from baking tin.
- To serve: Place strawberries into a bowl with the vanilla syrup. Lightly toss together and place on top of the frangipane tart.
- Serve immediately with pure cream or vanilla icecream.