Grilled fish with shiitake broth and scallops
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Trim the fish steaks, discarding any sinew or ragged bits. Sprinkle with a little salt and freshly ground pepper and keep aside until ready to grill.
- Put the stock in a heavy saucepan, add the sliced shallot and mushrooms and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, allowing the mushrooms to soften and the liquid to reduce a little so it is more intensely flavoured.
- Add the fish sauce and continue to simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan and cook the fish steaks over medium heat, turning once. When the steaks are almost cooked through add the scallops to the hot broth and simmer for 1 minute.
- To serve, divide the broth, mushrooms and scallops between four plates. Gently place the grilled fish in the centre of each and top with the tiny spinach leaves.