Reader recipe: Aged spiced scotch steak
( SERVES 4 )
|3 Tbsp||Dark soy sauce|
|3 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|1 Tbsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|2 cloves||Minced garlic|
|2 tsp||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|1 tsp||Chilli powder|
Ice cold beer
|330 ml||Beer, Ice cold|
- Buy some aged scotch fillet steaks from a butcher. Older the better
- Add the fish sauce, soy, Worcester, salt & pepper, chili power, garlic, paprika & salt & pepper together in a bowl. mix well.
- Add the steaks to the bowl and coat them thoroughly with the mix
- Find a container large enough to hold the steaks together. Pour some of the mix into the container then lay the steaks on top. Any additional mix can be poured over the top of the steaks. Cover and leave in the fridge for 24 - 48 hours
- Take steaks out 1 hour before cooking to let them heat up to room temp
- Turn the bbq onto hot and let the heat radiate through. Once its hot, introduce the steaks, cooking each side above direct heat for 1 minute to seal
- Turn heat down to lowest (55 degrees preferably) and let the steaks cook for 20min. Baste with the mix and leave to slow cook
- Open the beer, sip and relax. The steaks will take a while to slow cook so chill out while you listen to others try to tell you how to cook.
- Remove and let sit for 10min, then try the most epic steak you'll ever have!