Springtime french-toasted crumpets
This recipe was submitted by Lorna Stewart as part of our Springtime reader recipe competition.
For the french toast
For the topping
- Gently heat avocado oil in a large non-stick pan. In a bowl whisk eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Dip both sides of each crumpet in the egg mixture, pressing to ensure that top side is soaked with mixture.
- Place crumpets in hot oil, and gently fry both sides until golden brown.
- While crumpets are cooking, prepare asparagus. Cut at least 4 cm from stem.
- Place in a shallow container with water and a pinch of salt. Microwave on high 7 minutes.
- Slice or mash the avocado flesh. To the yoghurt add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- To assemble, place crumpets on a large platter. Top each crumpet with 2 asparagus spears. Place 2 slices or 1 dessertspoon of avocado on top of asparagus. Top with a dollop of yoghurt. Serve for breakfast or lunch.