Reader recipe: Slow cooker Asian style chicken thighs
A tasty and simple Asian Style dish with the surprise ingredient of anchovies. The flavour of the fish doesn't dominate because it only amounts to about a good teaspoon.
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|2 tsp||Grated ginger|
|1 Tbsp||Sesame oil|
|3 fillets||Anchovy fillets in oil, mashed|
|2 tsp||Oyster sauce|
|2 tsp||Rice wine, Or Lemon or Lime Juice|
|4||Skinless chicken thighs|
|1||Onion, 1 large or 2 small/medium|
|¼ cup||Light soy sauce|
|½ cup||Crushed tomatoes, Or 2 large fresh tomatoes peeled and chopped retaining the juice|
|¼ cup||Chopped fresh coriander, Optional|
- Shake the first 7 ingredients together in a large snap-lock bag and add the chicken thighs, refrigerate overnight.
- Place the chopped onion, tomatoes and soy sauce into the slow cooker, add the chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Slow cook 6 hours, they should be meltingly tender and no longer pink with a good amount of juices.
- Remove the chicken from the juice and cover in a low oven to keep warm while preparing the sauce.
- Stir through the chopped coriander, then transfer the sauce to a saucepan and reduce the fluid by 1/2 and it should thicken. We use additional coriander leaves to garnish.
- We enjoyed this dish with konjac noodles and steamed new season asparagus.