Reader recipe: Kate's ratatouille
( SERVES 4 )
This recipe from Samantha Dekker came in second place in our spring reader recipe competition. Samantha says: My vegan friend Kate made this for dinner one night and we've been hooked ever since I asked her for the recipe. The miso baked eggplant and cumin really elevate this dish. It's a great way to get your quota of vegetables and when served over a scoop of the ceres quinoa rice blend- it's hard not to feel smug and virtuous at this super healthy yet delicious meal! Leftovers the next day taste even better and it reheats well for lunches to take to work. It's my husbands favorite lunch to take to work.
|1 whole||Red onion, chopped finely|
|2 whole||Courgettes, diced|
|1 whole||Red capsicum, diced|
|1 whole||Yellow capsicum, diced|
|2 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|1 bottle||Tomato passata|
|1 bunch||Fresh chives, chopped finely|
|1 small handful||Finely chopped spring onion|
|1 Tbsp||Cumin seeds|
|2 Tbsp||Miso paste|
|1 whole||Sweetcorn, 1 cup of Frozen can be substitued if not in season.|
|1 small handful||Basil leaves, torn|
|1 optional||Capers, to taste|
|1 optional||Kalamata olives, to taste|
|1 Tbsp||Dried oregano|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Wash eggplant and cut in half and place in oven proof dish. Mix enough water with the miso paste to make it spreadable to smear over the eggplant. Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on size until soft.
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil in a deep pot (I use my Le Crueset oval casserole) gently to ensure itdoes not burn.
- Add in the courgette and capsicum and stir to soften. Add the spring onions, cumin seeds, sweet corn, oregano, capers and olives.
- Check eggplant and remove from oven. Chop into small chunks and add to the pot. Stir to cook for 2-3minutes.
- Add the tomato passata and let the mixture simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add basil just before serving.
- Delicious on its own or serve over a scoop of quinoa or quinoa rice blend or quinoa and black beans.