Reader recipe: Beef and barley casserole
( SERVES 6 )
The most special thing about this is that I don't have to think too much, be too precise and know that the slow cooker allows me to have dinner fairly sorted early in the day. The flavors and ingredients are usually on hand and it is so comforting, tasty and freezes well to revisit when time is short another day!
|250 ml||Beef stock|
|1 tin||Chopped tomatoes|
|2 handfuls||Pearl barley|
|4 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|750 g||Beef chuck steak, cut into large cubes|
|2 Tbsp||Standard flour|
|1 sprinkle||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 large||Brown onion, chopped|
|4 rashers||Streaky bacon, chopped|
|1 large||Red capsicum, chopped|
|2 large handfuls||Button mushrooms, Chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|1 sprinkle||Dried chilli flakes|
|500 ml||Red wine|
|2 leaves||Bay leaves|
|2 tsp||Cornflour, Mixed with a little water|
- Turn on slow cooker to low & add beef stock, tinned tomatoes, water rinsed through tomato tin, barley & tomato paste
- Toss cubed meat in seasoned flour. Heat 1-3 tbsp oil in heavy pan over med/high heat & brown meat (maybe in batches), add to slow cooker.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan over med heat and saute onion & bacon. Add red pepper and mushrooms & saute for a few minutes. Add butter and brown sugar to glaze then add all these to slow cooker.
- Put pan back on heat and add some red wine to deglaze pan. Add to slow cooker with enough red wine to taste. Add some water in need to cover ingredients. Sprinkle with chilli flakes and season with ground pepper.
- Thicken with cornflour before serving.
- Quantities are a bit of a guess and of course subject to what is on hand. I may use over-ripe tomatoes and the portion of meat is usually a tray with 2-3 large slices so not sure what weight is! Red wine is a guess too!