Vegan Cottage Pie
Quick to make with lots of common ingredients, a great vegan recipe for all skill levels.
|2 medium||Onions, Diced|
|3 cloves||Garlic, Diced|
|4 medium||Carrots, Peeled and finely grated|
|4 Tbsp||Black olives, Finely diced|
|1 sprig||Finely chopped spring onion|
|1 can||Chickpeas, With Brine|
|2 cans||Tomatoes, Diced|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 cube||Chicken stock|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|1 tsp||Sage, Dried|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 Tbsp||Black mustard seeds|
|1 Tbsp||Cumin seeds|
|½ tsp||Chilli powder|
|2 leaves||Bay leaves|
|1 pinch||Salt & freshly ground pepper, To taste|
- Pre-heat Oven to 180 degrees
- Heat 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil. Add Onions, Garlic and Spring Onion and cook until soft.
- Boil Potatoes and Kumara for 8 minutes or until soft. Drain and add, Chives, Parsley, Nutmeg, Coconut Oil, Extra oil and Olive Oil. Mash until soft and leave to one side.
- Add Carrots and Olives with 1 Tbsp of Balsamic vinegar to the sauce and cook for 3-5 Minutes.
- Add Chickpeas, drained lentils, 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, bay leaves, herbs and spices and wine then bring to the boil.
- As the sauce is reducing, skim some of the broth and leave to one side, you will need this for later. Once the sauce has reduced enough, put into a baking tray then spoon on the mash and with a fork level. Carefully pour on some of the left over broth, level and spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Grill for 5 minutes or until crispy and browned.
- Cool for 5 minutes and serve.