Beef, bacon and black pepper casserole
( SERVES 4 )
This is such a tasty dish and has not too many ingredients. I use gravy beef for this recipe. I check the meat before adding the potatoes, making sure it is tender. You can also use topside or blade beef. Adjust the cooking time to 1 to 1 1/2 hours only. This is not an original recipe. Came from either New Idea or Womans Day about 3-4 years ago . Had to tick original recipe as required field!!!
|1 kg||Chuck steak, 3 cm pieces|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 clove||Garlic, crushed|
|4 rashers||Bacon strips, chopped|
|140 g||Tomato paste, tub|
|2 cups||Beef stock|
|¼ tsp||Black peppercorns, coarsely crushed|
|500 g||New potatoes, peeled, quartered|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh thyme, chopped|
|1||Salt, to taste|
|1 small bunch||Fresh thyme, to garnish|
|1 small handful||Baby spinach, to serve|
|1||Corn cob, to serve|
- preheat oven 160 c. Trim excess fat from beef. Cut into 3cm pieces. Toss in oil.
- Heat a large flame proof casserole dish over a med to high heat. Cook beef in batches, turning occasionally, until browned all over, then remove from pan.
- Reduce heat. Add garlic, onions and bacon to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Add paste, cook stirring for 1 min. Add stock and pepper. Bring to the boil. return beef to dish.
- Cover and cook in a moderately slow oven 160 c for 1 1/4 hours. Remove from oven. Add potatoes and thyme. Cook, covered for 45mins until beef and potatoes are tender. season with salt
- Garnish with thyme. Serve with baby spinach and corn