Cauliflower Cheese with Whisky: Scottish Style!
This is a true winter warmer, and having all Scottish ancestors, I love the Scottish flavour! The whisky gives a special kick to the vegetable flavour, and warms the belly. The initial recipe idea came from Rampant Scotland, but I've added some of my own wee twists (and changed quantities to suit NZ and family servings) after much experimenting, such as tarragon, garlic, and smoked fish to it for extra fun and goodness.
- Remove the cauliflower stalks and cook the florets in hot water for five minutes.
- Drain and put into an ovenproof dish with the chopped mushrooms, garlic, and green peppers mixed in.
- Heat the cream gently in a small pan, add the cheese, stirring frequently.
- When the cheese has melted, remove from the heat and mix in the whisky, smoked fish, and oatmeal.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle the chopped nuts and tarragon on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 45 minutes. Serve immediately.