Family potato bake
( SERVES 4 )
I've never seen anyone make one like this
|10 whole||Potatoes, Sliced thinly|
|2 Tbsp||Chicken stock|
|2 cups||Bacon strips, chopped|
|10 whole||Mushrooms, chopped|
|2 cups||Cheese, grated|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|1 tsp||Garlic, crushed|
|1 cup||Warm water|
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Combine milk, butter, chicken stock, paprika and garlic in a saucepan and bring to boil over a low heat.
- While the milk is being brought to boil, slice potatoes into thin slices. and lay out in a tray. (I personally use a square glass tray. make sure the potatoes only come up about halfway when laid out, as it will rise and there needs to be room for sauce and topping.)
- When sauce is boiling and rising, take off the heat. Mix the cornflour and water together and whisk until smooth with no lumps. Add this cornflour mix to the milk and whisk until beginning to thicken.
- Add the grated cheese and bacon and mushrooms and stir thoroughly until cheese melted and sauce is thick. (if at this point the sauce is still thin, add another portion of the same cornflour and water mix - continue until thick)
- Pour this mix over the potatoes so they are fully immersed in the sauce.
- Sprinkle the topping cheese over the mixture. Then add Crumbs over the top. Pop in the oven for around an hour or until crumbs start looking golden brown.
- Serve with desired sides (I go for just salad) and enjoy!