Fruity Baked Alaska
This recipe was submitted by Owen Jennings as part of the reader recipe competition calling for a special occasions dessert. "My Fruity Baked Alaska is surprisingly easy and fun to make but even more enjoyable as the piece-de-resistance when we get together as a family. The recipe allows for plenty of flexibility and individual choice. Make sure you do the flambé – it adds a unique taste and all ages love it."
|1||Sponge cake, 25cm across, at least 8-10cm high, a blueberry songe loaf is ideal|
|1 packet||Ice cream|
|350 g||Mixed fruit, like your favourite berries, sliced peaches, mandarin sections, etc. I used a smoothie mix of mixed berries|
For the meringue
- Make a hollow in the sponge ensuring at least 3 cms of sponge on the bottom and 5 cm walls.
- Fill this hollow with ice cream. Place in deep freeze for at least 30 mins. (This can be done well in advance if it is easier)
- Make meringue by beating egg whites with whisk for at least 4 mins until the mix peaks up and is stiff. Place sugar and water with a few drops of lemon juice in a small saucepan and slowly bring to the boil. As it starts to boil, watch carefully to avoid caramelising or going brown. Try and give it at least half a minute with the large bubbles appearing.
- Remove and immediately start adding it very slowly to the beaten egg whites whisking it into the mix. The hot sugary mix actually cooks the eggwhite giving a shiny, stiff, fluffed up appearance. Keep beating with whisk till the peaks are quite firm – at least 3 or 4 mins.
- Remove sponge and ice cream. You need to keep the process going to the end now to keep the ice cream firm. Heap the fruit up over the ice cream making a peak. Allow for a little of the fruit juice to run over the ice cream and sponge.
- Cover the fruit, ice cream and sponge with a generous coating of meringue mix covering the whole of the dish.
- Place in oven with grill set at 200 - 210° C. Watch carefully (should be about 4 – 6 mins) and as soon as browning occurs across the meringue remove from oven.
- Immediately take to the dining table and flambé while the meringue is hot. Serve straight away. Will serve 8 – 10 adults.
- Serve on its own or with whipped cream on the side.