Peppermint pudding with chocolate sauce
This recipe was submitted by Judie O'Connell as an entry into our special occasion dessert reader recipe competition. "As you can tell this is an old recipe by the imperial measurement but it was known in the family as Nightmare Pud! It is rich, but always in demand by family and visitors as it was light but very yummy and easy to make!!!"
- Chill the tin of condensed milk.
- Beat until stiff adding 1 cup of sugar and a few drops of peppermint essence a little at a time.
- Dissolve 1 rounded teaspoon of gelatine in half a cup of boiling water and leave until quite cold, add to milk.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cocoa with half cup boiling water.
- Add 1 cup boiling water and the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to boil, thicken with 1 dessertspoon cornflour. Stir and boil for 3 minutes.
- Serve peppermint pudding in large individual dishes, pour on chocolate sauce at the table and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.