Rhubarb and gingernut baked cheesecake
This has become a firm favourite in our household and is my husband's favourite birthday cake. I adapted the recipe from 'Ripe - A Fresh Batch' cookbook, replacing the cream cheese with the ricotta which is healthier. The combination of rhubarb and ginger is just divine.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a 20-23 cm spring form cake tin and line the bottom of the tin with baking paper. Place the tin on top of a piece of aluminium foil which is around 4cm wider than the base of the tin. Bring the foil up over the outside of the tin - it will only go up to a height of 4cm. This helps contain any leaks from the cheesecake while it is cooking.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To prepare the base using ingredients listed 1-3 above: ¥ Roughly break up the gingernuts and place in a food processor bowl with the flour. ¥ Pulse till the mix is like fine crumbs. ¥ Add the melted butter and pulse to combine. ¥ Press the mix firmly into the prepared tin and place in the fridge to chill.
- To prepare the rhubarb using ingredients 4-6 above: ¥ Place the rhubarb onto the prepared baking tray. ¥ Sprinkle over the ginger and sugar. ¥ Bake for 15 minutes until soft then remove from oven and cool.
- To prepare the filling using ingredients 7-14 above: ¥ Place the ricotta cheese, golden syrup, lemon zest and vanilla extract in food processor bowl and blend till well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Transfer the ricotta mixture to a large bowl. ¥ Fold through ¾ of the rhubarb mix in the ricotta mix. Add the whipped cream and ginger, gently folding through until just combined. ¥ Pour the filling onto the chilled base. ¥ Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes or until set. The cheesecake will be slightly firm and a little wobbly to the touch when it is cooked. ¥ Remove from oven and allow to cool. Note the cheesecake can be made the day before and kept in the tin in the fridge till ready to serve. To prevent the cheesecake drying out in the fridge, wrap gladwrap or foil over the top of tin.
- To serve using ingredients 15-16 above: ¥ If cheesecake has been in fridge, bring it back to room temperature. ¥ Run a warm knife round the edge of the cheesecake to release it from the tin. ¥ Transfer the cake to a serving platter. ¥ Place the whipped cream on top of the cheesecake and top with the remaining rhubarb and crystallised ginger.