Ruby-swirled summery flummery with ginger fingers
My Flummery is a cool, creamy take on an 'olde-English' pudding. The yoghurt and lemon juice thicken the cream. The 'Ruby' component can be any berry-cherry combo. Today, there's an abundance of Raspberries, Blueberries & Cherries. The little ginger shortbread fingers add another texture and a bit of zing!
|450 ml||Thick greek yoghurt, Vanilla bean flavouredjuice|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|3 cups||Mixed berries, fresh, or frozen & thawed|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|100 g||Butter, cubed|
|½ cup||Icing sugar|
|1 cup||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|½ cup||Crystalised ginger, chopped|
|1 small handful||Berries, optional|
|1 small handful||Fresh cherries, optional|
- Whip cream. Fold in yoghurt & lemon juice. Cover & place in fridge.
- Make Ruby-swirl: Combine berries & sugar in a food processor or blender. Process for a couple of minutes in short (pulse) bursts. Strain berry puree through a sieve to remove seeds etc., pressing with the back of a spoon to extract the most flavour.
- Swirl the sieved berry mix through the cream-yoghurt mix and pile into serving dishes. Serve with Gingery Fingers shortbread on the side and topped with fresh berries or cherries, if desired.
- To make the Gingery Shortbread Fingers: Combine all six ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process in short (pulse) bursts until mixture begins to form a ball.
- Wrap in cling-film. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out, placing on an oven tray lined with baking paper and marking into fingers.
- Bake in an oven, pre-heated to 160C for 20 - 25 minutes.