Berry and custard filo pastry pie
A memorable dessert with fresh berries that is as good for you as it is good to eat! Any fresh berries may be used and together with the protein rich custard and crisp and light filo pastry, it contributes to healthy eating and enjoyment. Make the pastry shell in advance to have ready when the filling is made. Cool the custard before placing the berries on top and finishing off with the glaze.
|50 ml||Standard flour|
|10 ml||Custard powder|
|5 ml||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 ºC. Brush a 24 cm loose bottom baking tin or deep pie dish with melted butter. Add the vanilla and sugar to the remaining melted butter.
- Place 3 sheets of pastry onto the work surface, brush with butter and cover with the next three sheets to lie exactly on top of the first to make a perfect double layer. Brush one double layer with butter and place the next two double layers star-shaped on top, brushing in between. Lift up the layers, place into the greased tin or dish and press and ease gently into the dish to shape and create a frilly edged pastry case.
- Bake the filo shell about 6 minutes watching it constantly until a pale golden colour is reached. Cool a few minutes, lift out and place onto a serving plate – ready for the filling.
- Pour 700 ml milk into a large jug or bowl suitable to use in the microwave and microwave 4 minutes on High to bring it almost to boiling point. Combine the dry ingredients, egg yolks and vanilla with the additional 50 ml milk and stir into the warm milk. Microwave on High for 3 minutes, beat well with a whisk and microwave 1 minute at a time, beating in between until bubbly, smooth and thickened.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and fold into the thickened mixture until evenly combined. Microwave 2 minutes more, beat lightly and pour into the baked pie shell. Allow to cool completely Arrange the berries decoratively on top of the firm cooled custard.
- Mix the cornflour and red juice in a jug and microwave on High for 2 minutes. Beat well and microwave until thickened and transparent. Cool a few minutes and spoon over the berries. Refrigerate the pie at least two hours before cutting and serving. Store refrigerated.