Orange Polenta Cake
( SERVES 10 )
Entertaining? Need something delicious, impressive, yet easy and foolproof to whip up. This is your cake. It takes only 15 minutes to prepare, then a quick syrup poured over the top. It makes an impressive dessert or is delicious in the afternoon with a cup of tea.
|½ cup||Freshly squeezed orange juice, plus 2 tbsp of orange rind|
|½ cup||Vegetable oil|
|1½ cups||Self raising flour|
|½ cup||Ground almonds|
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line and grease a 20cm round cake tin.
- In a large bowl whisk orange juice, rind, vegetable oil, eggs, honey and sugar together.
- Add flour, ground almonds and polenta. Quickly mix to form a thick batter.
- Pour batter into greased cake tin and smooth the top with the back of a wet spoon.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, check by piercing with a skewer, that it comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool.
- Over a low heat, mix syrup ingredients, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes till thickened.
- Pierce the top of the cake with a skewer and drizzle the warm syrup over the cooled cake.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with a big dollop of greek yogurt.