Beetroot, blue cheese and walnut risotto
A hearty vegetarian risotto that's full of flavour - and is an absolute standout on the plate! It's perfect for the cooler months. Make sure you're generous with the blue cheese on top and add the walnuts for a little bit of crunch.
|3||Beetroot, cut into wedges|
|2 cloves||Garlic, whole|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|5 sprigs||Fresh thyme|
|1½ Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|1||Sea salt, to taste|
|1||Ground black pepper, to taste|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 large||Brown onion, finely diced|
|2 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|2 cups||Arborio rice|
|½ cup||Red wine|
|3 sprigs||Fresh thyme, leaves chopped|
|7 cups||Vegetable stock, warm|
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut each beetroot into approximately 6 wedges. Place a sheet of tin foil in a baking dish with the beetroot wedges and 2 garlic cloves, then drizzle over olive oil and toss to coat. Add 5 thyme sprigs and fold up tin foil package. Roast for 50 minutes to an hour, or until beetroot is cooked through.
- Remove beetroot from oven. Slice 4 wedges into 2 thinner ones and set aside for serving. Blend remaining roasted beetroot and garlic cloves in a food processor with leaves from thyme sprigs and balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add the onion. Cook for a few minutes then add garlic. Cook for a further few minutes and add rice, thyme leaves and salt and pepper. Pour in red wine and cook until absorbed.
- Pour in vegetable stock (warmed in a microwave or on the stove) about 3/4 cup at a time, allowing the rice to absorb it before each addition and without letting it dry out. Stir continuously. After about 20 minutes add the beetroot puree and cook for 5-7 minutes until the rice is cooked but not mushy.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the risotto into 4 bowls. Add sliced beetroot wedges on top along with crumbled blue cheese and walnut pieces. Place a handful of rocket on the side. Serves 4 generously, with some leftover for tomorrow's lunch, or 6 slightly smaller servings.