Spinach & Cheese Strata
( SERVES 4 )
Strata (American cuisine) is a deliciously YUM! savory egg dish, which is easy and versatile. It can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner and made for vegetarians . Just add bacon, sausages, steak, and salads etc to the side for those who like some meat This dish can be varied by using other ingredients such as bacon, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, nuts, herbs, and spices such as chili or curry. Preparing it the night before allows the egg mixture to soak in and the flavors to develop. I’m not usually and eggy person but this is one dish that I like very much. Serves 4 large or 8 smaller meals.
- Heat the oven to 180oC.
- Grease a large baking dish. Saute the onion in a large skillet with the butter until soft. Add the cleaned and chopped spinach and stir until it is wilted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk the eggs, nutmeg and mustard, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Arrange the ciabatta, then the onion and spinach mixture evenly in the baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over this. Cover and place in the fridge overnight. A couple of hours minimum will be adequate if time does not allow overnight chilling in the fridge.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until puffed and golden brown and egg is cooked. (45-55 minutes)
- Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving. Nice served with a salad.