It is such an easy versatile recipe that can be adapted to use any combination of fillings. I love to use silverbeet as one of the main ingredients as it makes it super tasty and Vogels bread for the base the edges get a lovely crunch to them. Lovely with a dash of sweet chilli sauce and even tastier the next day.
|12 slices||Vogels bread, Buttered on one side|
|1 large||Onion, Chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, Minced|
|1 Tbsp||Butter, Or oil|
|3 rashers||Rindless bacon, Chopped or you can use any left over meat|
|1 cup||Silverbeet, Cooked and drained|
|2 cups||Vegetables, Your choice can be left over roasted or mushrooms broccoli etc|
|1 cup||Grated cheese|
|0||Salt & freshly ground pepper, To taste|
- Preheat oven to 220c Line a 20 - 25cm pan with the Vogels butter side down. I fill the middle with whole slices then cut the remainder to fit ie triangles around the sides. You may need more or less depending on your pan, it doesn't matter if you have a few gaps.
- cook the onion and garlic till tender along with the chopped bacon.
- Mix the eggs, milk and salt and pepper to taste. Add the vegetables and cheese and mix to combine.
- Pour over the bread base, garnish with sliced tomatoes or thinly sliced peppers.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly browned and set in the centre.