All in one Brown Rice with Chicken
( SERVES 4 )
Using boned chicken thighs to keep the cost down, brown rice for improved texture and bite, and the option to use whatever vegetables are in season. And all cooked in one pot over a low heat to save energy cooking!
- Rinse the rice under running water using a large sieve. You can leave the rinsed rice to soak in clean water for an hour - that will reduce the cooking time later.
- In a large pan or frying pan with a closely fitting lid, heat the oil. Chop the onion and mushrooms and saute gently in the oil until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Drain the rice and add the drained rice to the pan and stir to mix the vegetables and rice. Then add the water, stock cube and paprika, bring to a gentle simmer, then place the chicken thighs on the top of the rice, put the lid on and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check periodically to see there is enough water, add more if the rice looks like it is too dry - this can happen if the lid is not really close fitting and it is bubbling too much and steam is escaping. (You can also put it in the oven to cook at 180 degrees for about 45 minutes). When you are checking it you should be able to see liquid around the edges - add about 1/4 cup more water each time until it is cooked if you need to. It won't matter at the end if the dish is a bit soupy.
- Check after 30 minutes cooking if it is all cooked through. Cook for anything up to 45 minutes then transfer the chicken to a serving dish and stir the grated carrot (and maybe some spinach or peas or a grated courgette) through the rice. Serve a quarter of the rice mixture with a piece of chicken and garnish with fresh herbs if you have them.