Kumara, Leek & Salmon Soup with crusty bread
( SERVES 4 )
This is a Kiwi twist on the classic Leek & Potato Soup with the added goodness of NZ fresh salmon. Its a comforting meal for dinner with a side of crusty garlic bread.
- Peel and cube kumara and boil until tender. Mash and set aside.
- Heat half of the Coconut oil in a large heavy bottomed pot. Add leeks and garlic. Cook until soft.
- Add Thyme and chicken stock. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining coconut oil and cook the piece of salmon until it is cooked and the skin crispy. A sprinkle of salt will help the skin crisp. Set skin aside.
- Add coconut milk and kumara to the pot. Bring back up to a simmer. Add cubed cooked salmon.
- Cut up a crusty loaf of bread (or gluten free) and toast in the oven.
- Serve soup in a bowl topped with the crispy salmon skin and toasty bread on the side.