Untraditional Cornish Pastie
This recipe came from my Grandfather who got it from his Father . It's so simple but so delicious and uses a cheap cut of meat that is more popular these days and can be found in most supermarkets or your local butcher
- Preheat oven to 200c
- Cover the bottom of a roasting/oven proof dish with the cubed meat so that you can hardly see the dish, only one layer of meat.
- Now the chopped onions so you can just see the meat
- Sprinkle this generously with ground pepper and salt
- Layer the swede slices over the top of this then the potatoes. You should be near the top of the dish.
- Roll out the pastry and place on top. Trim and cut a couple of holes in the pastry to let the steam escape.
- Put this in the oven for 1/2 an hour the reduce heat to 150c. For fan force reduce the temperature by 10c. Cook for a further 1- 1/12 hrs. When the aroma drives you mad it will be cooked! Lift the edge of the pastry to test the meat if you need, it will be firm.
- This dish is served with a glass of red. It's not gourmet looking although it does taste wonderful, so don't serve up to guests you are wanting to impress. Family would be good. If there is any left it's wonderful cold the next day.