Sweet'n'Sour Chicken and Rice
( SERVES 4 )
The family loves this, it's easy to prepare, & there's enough left over for lunch the next day. If you buy the chicken breast on special, it economical too. Just what a family needs.
|1 cup||Jasmine rice,|
|3 pieces||Chicken breasts, skin removed|
|2 stems||Rice bran oil, or similar|
|¼ cup||Brown sugar,|
|⅓ cup||White vinegar,|
|¼ cup||Pineapple juice, or any juice|
|¼ cup||Tomato sauce,|
|2 Tbsp||Kecap manis, or soy sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Rice bran oil, or similar|
|2 sticks||Hoisin sauce,|
- Add rice & water to rice cooker & set to 'Cook'. Alternatively, bring the water to boil in a saucepan, add rice & simmer till cooked, approximately 15 minutes.
- Dice chicken breast into bite sized pieces. Add to a large frypan with the oil & fry till cooked right through. Cut a large piece in half to check. Once cooked, place in an oven proof dish in the oven set at 125 degree C to keep warm.
- In a saucepan, stir together the sugars & the cornflour, to remove any lumps. Add vinegar & stir to combine. Add water, juice & sauces & bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes then turn off but leave on the cooktop to keep warm.
- In a clean frypan, add extra oil, cooked rice & hoisin sauce. Stir fry till rice is combined with sauce, & hot through.
- To serve, spoon a bed of rice onto plate, add chicken pieces to sweet'n'sour sauce & spoon over the rice.